Australia: Alleged pedophile granted bail in Brisbane

0
15

4112304039 9c366cb507AN alleged pedophile charged with committing 99 sex offences against a young girl, including child prostitution and producing child pornography, has been granted bail.

Richard Paul Baxter, 63, is the third person in three weeks to face court over the eight years of alleged abuse endured by the girl at a property in Brisbane’s southern suburbs, which police say ended only last month.

Mr Baxter was arrested on Monday and charged with 94 counts of indecent treatment of a child, four counts of obtaining prostitution and one count of making child exploitation material since 2004.His appearance follows the charging of a 60-year-old man and a 40-year-old woman earlier this month, also in connection with the ongoing police investigation, Operation Juliet Ostrich.

The pair, both from the southside suburb of Runcorn, were each charged with 15 offences including rape, sexual assault, indecent treatment of children, procuring prostitution and making child exploitation material.

Making Mr Baxter’s bail application yesterday, solicitor Adam Magill said his client had lived in Brisbane for 50 years and was not a flight risk.

The man would be contesting the charges against him, Mr Magill said.

Magistrate Judy Daly ordered Mr Baxter be bailed on strict conditions, including that he refrain from contacting the girl or going within 100m of her address.

He has also been ordered to surrender his passport and not approach a point of international departure.

Child protection detectives launched Operation Juliet Ostrich in September after they received serious allegations of sexual abuse towards the girl.

Mr Baxter will reappear for a court mention next month.

Source: The Australian